TMC has been recognized by the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) as a Dementia Capable Care Society Leader. TMC utilizes CPI’s Dementia Capable Care Program, which delivers comprehensive training that embodies an abilities-based approach to care. Understanding is built on an exploration of the behavioral challenges presented by persons with dementia and develops appropriate responses to those behaviors. This program meets the Alzheimer’s Association Dementia Care Practice Recommendations.
Dementia Capable Care (DCC) focuses on utilizing patients’ abilities vs. disabilities to maximize functional independence. Therapists are able to change their treatment approach when working with patients who have Alzheimer’s and related dementias to work within the behavioral challenges and physical challenges for optimal outcomes. This is a very different type of treatment approach than working with patients without dementia, as the focus is more direct and does not require the therapist to modify the method in which activities and exercises are progressed. DCC teaches therapists to alter communication approach throughout the stages of dementia. This allows for a more rewarding experience for the therapist, as well as the best outcomes in function and dignity for the patient and family.
- Identify a change in approaches to dementia care
- Demonstrate an understanding of Alzheimer’s and related dementias
- Describe the stages of dementia and approaches that maximize independence and quality of life
- Learn and practice person-centered techniques and appropriate communication skills
- Implement methods that support dementia capable communities
- Understand the complexities of behavioral challenges and practice the most-effective responses
TMC is proud to have certified all of our OTs, COTAs, and SLPs as Dementia Care Specialists through Dementia Capable Care training. PTs and PTAs are presently being certified.